Using Onion for Hair Care
What if we were to tell you that onions are worth all the tears spent cutting them? If you are someone with serious hair care issues and are looking for the right solution, try onions as they are known to cure a lot of hair problems. It’s a fact that onion, when added to a haircare routine, can supplement the growth of new hair and prevent hair loss or dandruff. It is also believed to help in the production of collagen, which helps in growth of healthy skin cells and thus, growth of new hair follicles. According to some people, applying onion juice on the scalp also helps boost blood circulation, thereby stimulating and protecting the growth of new hair.
Benefits of onion:
- Encourages hair growth: Massaging the hair with onion oil or its juice can help in boosting the blood circulation to the scalp. Since onion is naturally rich in sulphur, which is stated to promote the production of keratin, it encourages growth of new hair. It also provides moisture to the dry scalp and therefore, prohibits breakage, ensuring hair growth.
How to use Onion for Hair Regrowth:
- Using a mixer or food processor, blend 2-3 bulbs of finely chopped onions.
- Strain the juice with a muslin cloth.
- Use this extract to mix in your shampoos, conditioners, hair cleansers or as onion hair mask for strong and beautiful hair.
- Reverses greying: The antioxidants present in onions can help the premature greying of hair. Onion increases the production of catalase, an enzyme that helps in hair darkening by reducing hydrogen peroxide at roots that grey the hair.
How to use Onion for Reversing Grey Hair:
- Combine 3 - 4 tablespoons of onion juice with 1- 2 tablespoons of lime juice. The use of lemon juice in the mixture helps remove the strong smell of onions from the scalp.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp with cotton pads as evenly as possible.
- Keep for 30 minutes after which, rinse hair thoroughly.
- Moisturizes and revitalizes dry, brittle hair: Onions contain certain compounds like flavonoids and kaempferol that are known for their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and vasodilatory (widening of blood vessels) properties which aid the flow of blood to the scalp.
How to use Onion on Brittle Hair:
- After extracting the onion juice, mix with a certain oil like coconut or almond.
- Heat this mix over medium heat.
- Once warm, use a cotton ball to apply this mixture on the scalp.
- Calms dry, itchy scalp: Onions have certain antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, that can prevent scalp infection and dandruff. Dandruff results in a dry and itchy scalp. The use of onion can calm the itchiness of the scalp as it provides moisture to it.
How to use Onion for Itchy Scalp:
- Grind 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and mix them with sufficient amount of onion juice to form a paste.
- You can also use 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 1 tablespoon of onion juice
- Apply on the scalp to get rid of a dry, itchy scalp and dandruff.
- For shiny hair: Onions promote the production of keratin due to their rich sulphur content. Keratin smoothens the cells that overlap to form hair cells, thereby making hair more manageable and less frizzy. It also gives the hair a glossy and healthy look.
How to use Onion for Shiny Hair:
- Take 2 tablespoons of onion juice, ½ tablespoon of honey/ olive oil/ coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
- Mix well and apply to the roots and scalp.
- After 30 minutes, wash with a mild shampoo and rinse thoroughly.
Onions are not only a great accessory to food, but when used right, they also have immense benefits for hair. With the aforementioned tricks and tips, you can get the hair of your dreams by just using this underrated vegetable from the pantry. However, if you are not a DIY queen but still looking for a good product to take away your hair woes, you can try the natural beauty products from the Good Vibes Onion Range. They have a shampoo, conditioner, a hair mask and an onion oil that promises to control hair fall and strengthen hair roots and follicles. The best part is that all the products: shampoos and conditioners come in a refill pack. The oil comes mixed with the goodness of argan, castor and lavender oil. So, look no more, get your hands on the GV Onion Range to bring life to you waves!