Dry, Dull And Damaged Hair Treatment At Home
Replenish Your Hair Health With These Easy-Peasy Home Remedies
Dry and damaged hair is one of the most common hair problems we all are facing. Dryness caused in our hair has many reasons including pollution, overexposure to heat or sun, bleaching and washing hair too often etc. This then leads to dull, damaged and unmanageable hair. It may also cause problems like hair fall, split ends and hair thinning. But here are some of the easy ways you can treat these hair problems at home.
Home Remedies For Damaged, Dry And Dull Hair
The main reason for dry and damaged hair is lack of moisture and chemicals like parabens, formaldehyde and synthetic fragrances, etc. Therefore, here are some of the home remedies for damaged hair that will help you get your beautiful, shiny hair back.1. Using Clarified Butter:
In ancient times people used to massage their hair using clarified butter commonly known as “ghee”. It has many antioxidants so it fights free radicals and infections caused by microorganisms. Ghee is rich in nutrients like vitamin A, D, K2, E, etc, which helps in restoring moisture back into the hair. Therefore, it protects hair from dullness, dryness and prevents itchy scalp that is caused due to lack of moisture.
- Mixing ghee with olive oil is great for nourishing and conditioning hair.
- Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with 1 tablespoon ghee and heat it over a low flame until the ghee melts. Then massage this on your scalp for 10-15 minutes to stimulate hair growth.
- Mixing ghee with almond oil and lemon and applying it on your hair overnight is also great for treating dandruff which is again a primary cause of dry hair.
2. Hot Oil Massage:
Hot oil massage is one of the very common practices to nourish hair and fix any hair related issues. While it relaxes your mind it's also great for deeply conditioning your hair. Using plant-based oils for hot oil treatment like olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil or castor oil works by sealing moisture in your hair cuticles. It helps in strengthening and protecting hair. Let's discuss some of the plant-based oils and their benefits.
- Take 1 Tablespoon each of castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil and Almond oil.
- Mix it into a bowl and heat it for 30 seconds over a low flame.
- Massage this mixture on your scalp with the help of your fingertips.
- Apply the remaining oil all over the hair.
- Leave it overnight or for 5-7 hours.
- Wash it with mild or natural shampoo.
3. Eggs :
Eggs have proven to be the most effective and affordable option for restoring hair health. They are rich in protein, vitamin A and E. It helps in promoting hair growth, restricts hair loss, enhances hair elasticity and improves the texture of the hair. Egg yolk is full of healthy fats that help in replenishing moisture and make your hair look and feel healthy. Let's discuss a few ways of applying egg hair masks.
Olive Oil and Egg Mask:
Take an egg and whisk it with some olive oil until it blends completely. Apply this mask from the root to the tip of your hair and leave it for 30 minutes to an hour. Wash it with warm water. It is one of the best natural conditioners for your hair.
Egg and Banana Hair Mask:
Mash the ripped banana and mix it with an egg until a smooth paste is formed. Apply this mask all over your hair including the scalp. This hair mask is great for taming frizzy hair and hydrating dull and dry hair. It also makes hair shiny and soft.
4. Indian Gooseberry:
Indian gooseberry commonly known as amala has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and exfoliating properties. It strengthens hair follicles which results in hair growth. Amala mixed with different other natural ingredients prove to be really effective in treating damaged hair. Indian gooseberry juice is a great tonic for hair. Mixing it with various ingredients helps strengthen hair.
Amla and lemon hair tonic:
Lemon is rich in vitamin C which improves the rate of hair growth and boosts collagen production.
- Take one amla and 1 lemon.
- Squeeze the juice out of both the ingredients.
- Transfer it into a spray bottle and spray it directly into your scalp by sectioning it.
- Massage it with your fingertips without applying a lot of pressure.
- Rinse it with normal water with a mild herbal or organic shampoo.
Amla and curry leave hair pack:
Curry leaves are rich in vitamins B6 and C. It prevents hair thinning and damage.
- Take one amla and a few curry leaves.
- Blend it together into a smooth paste.
- Apply it all over the hair from root to tip.
- Leave it for an hour.
- Wash it with normal running water.
5 Honey and Yogurt Hair Mask:
Yoghurt has active bacterial enzymes that treat many hair related issues like dandruff, itchy scalp, etc. It also helps in locking moisture and natural oils into the hair that leads to soft and shiny hair. Honey on the other hand also has been used for years as the natural moisturizing and cleansing medium for hair.
Let’s know how to make this mask:
- Take 2 tablespoons of yoghurt and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Apply it all over your clean and washed hair. Massage it really well.
- Leave it for 1 hour.
- Wash it under normal running water with a mild shampoo.
6. Onion Oil:
Onion contains biotin and sulphur which works great to strengthen our roots and make the hair strong and lustrous. They also avoid breakage and damage due to heat and pollution.To make onion oil:
- Blend an onion to remove its juice by wrapping it in a mesh cloth and squeezing it.
- Mix this onion juice into any carrier oil of your choices like coconut or castor oil.
- Let your mixture mix thoroughly for the night and start applying the next day onwards.
- Keep it on your hair for at least an hour or overnight.
7. Fenugreek Seeds:
Methi or fenugreek is a wonderful way of adding some much-needed volume to your hair. It induces hair growth due to their anti-inflammatory and antifungal effects which helps control dandruff and hair loss. You can either soak the seeds overnight and drink the water in the morning or make a fenugreek hair mask by:
- Take soaked fenugreek seeds (preferably overnight) and add them to the mixer.
- Add aloe vera gel and any carrier oil of your choice to it and blend till fine paste forms.
- Apply this paste on your hair for 25-30 minutes and wash as usual for strong, voluminous hair.
How to prevent hair from damage?
To prevent hair damage we need to first know the reason behind it. The main causes include dry hair, over-brushing and using heat-styling tools too often. So here are the certain tips for you to prevent hair damage:
- Avoid over-brushing, pulling or tugging your hair. Use gentle motion to comb your hair to prevent hair loss and damage.
- Switch to natural products as they are much safer to use than the unknown chemicals present in our hair care.
- Many people tend to skip conditioner after washing their hair which causes dryness and breakage of hair. Use natural ingredients like curd or honey to deeply condition your hair after a wash.
- Instead of using a hairdryer, let your hair air dry. The heat from the hairdryer may lead to dryness and dullness of hair. Limit the use of heat on your hair for styling them.
- Use hair protecting spray before using heat styling tools as they add a protective barrier to the hair and prevent loss of moisture and control frizz and damage.
We know that dry and dull hair is a clear no for all of us. Who doesn't want luscious and beautiful hair? These home remedies are the most affordable alternative for damaged hair treatment at home. Say bye to dry and dull hair and enjoy your new and beautiful shiny and healthy hair.
Read More Stories: